Border Crossing to Myanmar

Since Myanmar opens its door to the world, more official borders are opening for travelers who are wish to do overland journeys from neighboring countries to Myanmar. At present it is only possible to travel freely over land between Myanmar and Thailand. The India crossing (at Moreh, Manipur State) and the China crossing (at Ruili, Yunnan Province) both require a permit.

Crossing to Bangladesh is not currently permitted for foreigners and Laos has no official border crossing (although one is expected to open soon).

When travelling over land to Myanmar, you must always obtain your visa beforehand; it is not currently possible to get Myanmar visas at the border and e-visas are not valid. For more information detail, please visit over our Map to see Border Check Point each.

border crossing map

Thailand/Myanmar Border Crossings

Thai/Myanmar border points are now officially open to foreigners under the agreement between the Union of Myanmar Government and the Government of the Kingdom of Thailand, the following border entrances / exits have been designated as international entrances / exits with effect from 0800 hours on the 28th August 2013 (Wednesday), and those Myanmar and Thai citizens as well as Third country citizens holding valid passport with visa will be permitted to enter and depart from Myanmar;

  1. Tachilek – Maisai
  2. Myawaddy – Mesok
  3. Htee Kee – Phunaron
  4. Kawthoung – Ranong

Do remember, if you are planning to cross the border by land, to check that there have been no closures before commencing your journey. Also make sure that you have the relevant visas arranged (or are eligible for a visa exemption if crossing from Myanmar into Thailand). Here’s where to go if you want to make a land border crossing between Thailand and Myanmar:

Mae Sot / Myawaddy

Foreign visitors can now enjoy full access overland to the rest of Myanmar when they cross into Myawaddy from Thailand’s Mae Sot. One of the most popular crossing points, Mae Sot is located in the Thai province of Tak. It is well-connected by bus on the Thai side, and onward transportation when in Myanmar is also relatively straight-forward.

Mae Sot has daily direct flights and frequent buses to Bangkok and Chiang Mai. On the Myanmar side, the new road over the Dawna mountains - connecting Myawaddy to the rest of Myanmar depending upon your interest places such as Mount Kyaiktiyo (the Golden Rock), Hpa An, Mawlamyine and Yangon are easy to reach, allowing you to connect to other parts of the country.

Mae Sai / Tachilek

One of the most popular border crossings connecting Myanmar and Thailand. Mae Sai is within Thailand’s province of Chiang Rai. Foreigners can cross the border at Mae Sai (Thailand, Chiang Rai Province) / Tachileik (Myanmar, Shan State) and travel as far as Kyaing Tong in Myanmar; but there are still limitations as over land transportation further than this you will need a permit. Both Tachileik and Kyaingtong have airports offering domestic flights to Yangon, Mandalay and Heho (For Inle Lake region including Pindaya, Kalaw and Taunggyi).

Note : Thai baht is the main currency in Tachileik due to economy based on border cross trade and tourism.

Ranong / Kawthoung

By crossing the river that separates these two towns, it is possible to access the southernmost point of Myanmar. This is the most convenient crossing for people who are continuing to Myanmar from Southern Thailand. Ideal for beach lovers, you can catch onward boats to some of Myanmar’s dazzling beaches and islands.

Whilst road access may be possible, the roads are not in good condition and it would take a relatively long time. The boat crossing between the two countries takes around 20 minutes, and there are regular boat services. Cruises to the Myeik Archipelago also start from Kawthaung.

Phu Nam Ron / Htee Khee

Phu Nam Ron, located in Thailand’s province of Kanchanaburi, is a remote town with a border crossing into Myanmar. Crossing to Htee Khee, the nearest major town on the Myanmar side is Dawei, which is around a five-hour drive from the border.

Arranging onward transportation may be difficult, particularly during the wet season. There are a further two crossings between Myanmar and Thailand, although they are not open to foreigners. People who hold passports from either Thailand or Myanmar, however, can utilize these crossings. They are between Prachuap Khiri Khan and Tanintharyi Division, and at the Three Pagodas Pass between Sangkhlaburi (in Thailand’s province of Kanchanaburi) and Payathonzu in Myanmar’s Kayin State.

Myanmar China Border

Crossing the land border at Ruili (known as Shweli in Burmese and located in China’s Yunnan Province)/ Muse (Myanmar, Shan State), you will need to arrange a special tour package by local travel agent and need to apply special permission at least one month in advance of your travel date. A guide and privately arranged transportation is also required.

If you are travelling from China, an alternative is to go to a travel agent in Kunming. The Myanmar consulate in Kunming may tell you that the border is officially shut, but this, in fact, will probably not be the case.

Yangon, Mandalay and Kunming all have embassies or consulates where you can apply for the relevant visa (Myanmar or Chinese). For details, go to embassies and other useful information. The Mong La border crossing is currently shut. Once over, we would recommend driving directly to Lashio or Hsipaw.

India Myanmar Border

In the remote north west of Myanmar, a crossing exists between Moreh (India, Manipur state) and Tamu (Myanmar, Sagaing Division). In order to cross this checkpoint it is necessary to obtain a permit, which must be arranged at least a month in advance.

Although permits are required for border crossing, foreigners can now travel in these parts of Sagaing Division (Myanmar) and Manipur State (India) freely.

The India-Myanmar border in the far north of Kachin State at Pangsau Pass is currently shut to foreigners.

Although we offer a range of overland tours to Myanmar, please note that we are not able to issue border crossing permits as a stand-alone item - if you book through us you must take a guided tour for at least part of your journey according to rule of law by the Myanmar government and we must always ensure the safety of our clients.

Canavan Tour / Travel with own

Crossing into Myanmar with your own vehicle (motorhome, car or motorbike) requires special permission and you will have to be accompanied by a guide and sometimes a Ministry of Hotels and Tourism liaison officer. We have extensive experience in route planning, guiding, accommodation and logistics and we would be delighted to work with you on your overland Myanmar trip (permits typically take at least one month to process). Note that cycling groups also need permission for border crossings.